Sunday, October 23, 2005

From The Ground - a girlfriend’s perspective.



I admit, I was a skeptic when the idea for the GCMR 2005 was initially put on the table. I laughed, I mocked, and then I got down to business. I needed many things to approve this; an ROI document outlining the break-even point and maximum thresholds, a “no complaining” clause, and an agreement on “date night”. Once a week we must have a date. We settled on Friday nights, as it just made sense for both of us. Now being a flexible woman (everyone who knows me better stop laughing right now!), I knew there would be times when I would have to adjust my schedule to accommodate a Friday night that was not going to work for Marc.



Last Friday night was one of those times. I went to work early that morning, with the intention of coming home in the afternoon briefly and taking Marc back to the airport. He had flown in from work earlier in the day, did some errands and was getting ready for his overnight to Winnipeg. He had made plans to have dinner with a group of people at one of his favorite restaurants, spending some time socializing. No problem with that, I was adjusting my schedule to have a Saturday night “date night”.



Dropping Marc off at the airport, he made an excuse to get me into the terminal with him. Nothing much surprises me anymore, so I didn’t find it odd that we were heading to security to meet some people. I was hanging behind a little and following him as he walked up to security and handed over two boarding passes! WHAT?!? Where was I going? There is no dinner is there? Where are you taking me? I was confused, excited, back again to confused…”where am I going?”



“Winnipeg. It’s “date night.” he says.



I started laughing and realized that he had taken my mini-meltdown a few days earlier to heart. He wanted me to experience my own little part of the GCMR, and didn’t want to neglect “date night”. What a guy.



Hopped into the lounge for a quick drink and then on the plane. A quiet three hours for me to read my book, and for Marc to…well, sleep. From the moment the plane pushes back to the wheels hitting the ground on the landing – he’s sleeping. No wonder he keeps saying this is easy, and this is the most rested he’s ever been.



We are picked up at the airport by Bob and take the scenic route to Paradise restaurant on Portage. We had a wonderful dinner with lots of wine and great conversation. Sally and Stewart were gracious enough to give us a tour of Winnipeg (my first time there), and drop us at our hotel.





Up early the next morning as Marc needs to continue racking up those miles! Into the MLL in Winnipeg, and I thought to myself – well, this is probably the only time I’m going to fly with him during this, and I’m curious as to how many people actually know about his mileage run… I walk up to the desk where he is standing and say to one of the ladies, “Have you heard about that guy who is doing all the flying to get the million miles?”



“Oh yes, we have actually – there was something written about him.”



“That’s the guy.” I point to Marc and start to giggle. I left him to tell them about it and gathered our bags, as the GCMR must go on. He is starting his fourth week tomorrow, and closing in on 500,000 miles. That’s quite a milestone. Am I supposed to get a gift or something? What does one get for someone’s 500,000th mile anniversary? Hmmm…something to think about.



And WOW, was “date night” ever fun!

7 Comments:

Anonymous todd-r said...

cool... cash for the ticket or points? enquiring minds want to know :)

8:33 PM, October 23, 2005  
Blogger Marc said...

cash $79 each way. With taxes $240 ish..

11:08 PM, October 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift to your partner...I'm glad you had a such a great time in YWG. Last time it was me who gave OZstamps and Lynn the tour....Good luck during November!
QSG

11:30 PM, October 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well played my good man!

That was a nice touch, bringing your partner along for date night.

7:37 AM, October 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winnipeg?.... Surely he could have brought you somewhere more interesting? Montreal,or Quebec City comes to mind, the charm of a mini Europe without the major jet lag!

7:01 AM, October 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´m laughing here in my cubicle. Thank you very much in converting my boring day in a fantastic reading experience... just be crazy a bit more time, in order to help other useless people to follow your adventure.

9:27 AM, October 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotta love quebecois snobbery:

" Winnipeg?.... Surely he could have brought you somewhere more interesting? Montreal,or Quebec City comes to mind,"

9:40 PM, October 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home