Saturday, December 03, 2005

Saturday night in Hong Kong. A week long retrospective Day #1


Ok. Its 610pm here. If I want to go out tonight I promised myself I would do this.

Too bad for you, as had I done this it would have been a very different read.."and thennnnssss I sayed toooo the cop go to............"

So lets avoid that!

So this is what a B747 pilot did this week since ending the mileage run.

Day #1: Last day of the mileage run (or at least the flight pass portion of it).
The only flight pass trip I have is from Vancouver to Calgary where my itinerary continues to Frankfurt on a separate ticket. I was required in FRA for recurrent Simulator (something we do ever 6 months)

4 days out I was able to confirm myself into 1A on the B767 to Calgary. Its a single seat in Business class (seating configuration 1-2-2). Sweet. The next leg to FRA was another story. My company only booked that ticket 2 days before. There was one Business Class seat showing available that won't be released till the day of departure at the gate.

Not looking good!!

The first flight is fine, the in charge FA is a Commercial pilot and we chatted a bit about his past job dropping parachutists in Southern Ontario. Arriving into Calgary, I make my way to the Maple Leaf Lounge and find a Concierge to harass about my upgrade.
Good News, there are now 2 seats open in Business and 1.5 hrs till flight time. Settling my self with a beverage (Jack and Diet Coke IIRC) I surf the net and fax Boarding passes into Aeroplan :)

I departed the lounge hopefully and made my way to the gate.
The crowds were lessening and I station my strategically so as to be able to access the agent at the podium when my name is called.....

Waiting.


Waiting.....

Ok Already...Finally I am the only guy in the boarding lounge and I began to sense something was asckew. I gathered up my things to enquire with the agent. "Ohhh Yes Mr.Tacchi, I saw your name on the top of the list, one second please."

Wait ... wait... "Hmm Sir, it seems Business is now full. The must have been some last minute passengers......"

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....F*ck F*ck F*ck...

"What I can do" she proffers "is give you all of row 15 (3 seats) to yourself."

Resigning myself to Economy (really not that bad on Air Canada), I thank her for the effort and board the plane.

As I approached my row, I could see some German was trying to poach my seat. I figured if I challenged him for a BP he would feign ignorance and move. He did. I had my row.

Unpacking my friends pillow , Ipod and book I settle myself in for the duration. Just then, the Gate agent approaches..."Mr Tacchi, good news those last two passengers in business cancelled their flight. Please move to row 2.

Speechless I gather my possessions, attempt to express my gratitude, and move. (I think I was out of there in about 1.5 seconds)


Rest of the flight was uneventful I watched Midnight Cowboy and Lawerence of Arabia on the DVD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home